Monday, July 23, 2012

Stupidland


We just returned from an early evening concert by the great James McMurtry. The show was fantastic! What we saw of it anyway. Unfortunately, we had to put up with people that slowly meandered in front of us blocking our view along with the many people running around trying to get pictures and videos on their cell phones.


So I felt that I needed to write a song about it. It goes to the tune of James McMurtry’s classic: Levelland (please don’t sue me Mr. McMurtry)


Stupidland


On Uncle Billy’s rooftop

Beer was flowing non-stop

We got there early to get a table

Broiling in the sun



Hillbilly strumming a banjo

Keeping tune with a toy piano

Better stop that opening act

Before we all get suicidal



With barbecue smelling good

James finally came out

In a tight three piece combo

Blowin’ those speakers out



So the crowds came round

And blocked our view

Mega-pixel photos wherever you turn

And when those flashes all went off

I called it Stupidland – Low IQ humans



Guy in a hula skirt

Standing a bit too close

If you sway those hips near me

I’m gonna bust your nose



Old Guy in the pork pie hat

Dancing and blocking our view

Tapped out his own two feet

With those size 18 sandals



Rodeo left yesterday

Circus gone for another year

Clown school out on summer break

What are you doin’ here?



But he kept on twisting

And the cameras kept clicking

Stooges calling friends on phones

They are most respected citizens

In Stupidland -- They don’t understand anything

In Stupidland



And I watched those cell phones rising up blocking every view

Pics and vids, press record

You couldn’t blame me one damn bit if I tackled every one

Cos I’d rather see the show

Just Stupidland

Far as you can point your hand

Nothin’ but Stupidland



St. Pauli Girl cryin’ in her beer

Me, I’m climbin’ up a ladder

I asked her to make a wish

She wished we both could fly

Don’t think we’ve seen the show

Since the third or fourth song



I paid off all our bar debts

Then grabbed me a really long stick

Knocked that pork pie hat to the wind

Then we ran as far we could get

From Stupidland – imagine that

No comments:

Post a Comment